Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Learning to touch


This morning Jane was fussing and Michael set her down in her little playset. She happened to grab onto the little toucan, who has crinkly-sounding stuff in his wings, and she snapped her head to look around at the sound and stopped fussing and got mesmerized. Then she let go and then reached her hand back up and squeeeeezed the little doll again. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's what I've been waiting for - for her to reach out for something intentionally.



I took a video of her, and if you watch her hand, her movements are very deliberate. She reaches up slowly and feels for the little doll, and once she gets ahold of it she squeezes it - it's all kind of amazing since up to now it's just been swatting at things and flailing her arms around hoping to hit stuff like the balloon string.

When I was done taking video I got down in front of her and she started deliberately reaching up and touching my face, something she hasn't ever done before. It was pretty amazing to have the connection of her first intentional touch and see her learning what mommy's face feels like and to watch her little hand move from my nose to chin and cheek. Michael took a video for me:



It's funny how such small and simple things can be such a big deal to me.

1 comment:

Kylen and Adrienne said...

Oh my gosh! Those videos are so precious!